20 February 2015

Makeup Review: L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation


Update Feb 5, 2016: I've posted an update about shade matching and application in a new post, found here.

Long time no post!

Earlier this year, L'Oreal released new products under their Infallible line. I was in the market for a new foundation, and the Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation caught my interest. It comes in a 1oz. tube, and L'Oreal claims that this foundation is long-wearing, never cakey, demi-matte and air-light.

I did a little bit of research before I headed out to try this for myself, and most reviewers like it! I had also just finished a sample of the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + foundation (in #40), so I was hoping that this would be a cheaper alternative. I love the matte look, and I find that a matte foundation really helps keep the shiny-greasy look at bay.

One of the first things I want to say about the L'Oreal Pro-Matte foundation is that it does not have a large shade range. I think there are 9 shades in total for Canada, at least on the website. I have #102 Shell Beige and #103 Natural Buff, and let me tell you, the colours are really strange! As it is, I have a really hard skintone to match, because I have a lot of redness on my face from acne scars, and my undertone is probably neutral-cool and I'm "olive." I'm also learning that I look best in foundations that are slightly more yellow (as opposed to more pink!) and slightly lighter.

So, now that you know all that, let's talk this actual foundation! #103 is a pretty solid match to my skin's undertone in most light sources, but is a touch too dark for me right now. #102 looks like a shade lighter with a yellow undertone under various indoor lights, but it has a pink undertone in natural light. According to the product page on the L'Oreal Canada site, both #102 and #103 seem to be pink shades! In the photo below, #102 looks like a much better match to me, but it's not in real life. #103 is also definitely not pink. The back of my hand is ridiculously pink for some reason, though I tried to correct that in Photoshop.

#102 and #103, in that order, on the back of my hand in natural light.


Aside from the colour, I also want to talk about the claims. This foundation is matte and high coverage, so I really do recommend doing the extra steps like contouring and highlighting to add some shape back into the face. I like to buff this foundation with a dense brush to get that smooth finish. It also sets fast! Layering is fairly easy, once I got used to working with it. Two layers gets me completely full coverage. This isn't a foundation you would use for the "no makeup" look, but it evens the skintone beautifully and lasts pretty much all day.

I do have oily skin, so I still powder my T-zone just in case, but the oils have never eaten away at this foundation like it did to the Rimmel Clean Finish foundation. After about 10 hours, I can see a few creases at laugh lines and between my brows. Normally, I'd use my finger to blend creases away, but the foundation really doesn't budge after it sets. At the end of the day, the foundation is still entirely on my face, and the little creases are the only problem.

As you can see, it doesn't cover texture, but it covers just about everything else!
(I was totally breaking out when I took this photo.)
Wearing #103, Rimmel's Natural Bronzer in 022, and NYX powder blush in Dusty Rose.

Pros: 
• matte finish
• long-wearing
• doesn't require a setting powder
• medium to full coverage
• light, almost weightless feel
• water-resistant
• fairly rub-proof

Meh:
• quick-drying

Cons: 
• hard to colour match
• hard to blend
• small shade range
• light creasing

Overall, I do like this foundation, but I wish the shade match was a little more accurate. I think that there are some things this foundation does better than the MUFE Mat Velvet +, but the MUFE is a lot easier to blend.

The L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation retails for between $14-20 anywhere that sells drugstore makeup. I bought both of mine from Walmart.

Bonus! Since I can't use #102 at all, I'd like to give it away to someone who can use it. It no longer has the seal on the tube, and it's been swatched 3 times, sort of used once. Unfortunately, this would be only open to people within Ontario, and if you're in Toronto/GTA, I can probably meet up! Email me at christineaang (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested! Just put the product name as your subject line so I know what the email is about. :)

5 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of people have been having trouble getting a good match :/ Since you got it at Walmart, you could probably return it, though I guess it depends if you think it's worth the effort :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't return it anymore because I've lost the receipt and I opened it (the original seal is gone)! So I'm hoping that someone comes along who can use it.
    But otherwise, I think this foundation is actually pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the...the shade range is really weird :I Though, I really enjoy the packaging for this! For some reason, I always think there's less product in a tube than in a glass bottle, even if they both come in 30ml. Just me??? THE TUBE JUST LOOKS SO MUCH SMALLER AND COMPACT.


    I was pretty 'meh' about MUFE's Mat Velvet, as I really couldn't find the right colour match and y'know, can't afford to buy two to mix LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tube feels like I can get out almost every drop, which is nice! But a glass bottle is just so pretty... But yes!! It feels so much smaller!!

    I ended up not getting the MUFE Mat Velvet mostly because it does some funky things when I put concealer on top to correct under my eyes. :/ That was a little disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're looking for a reputable contextual ad network, I recommend you take a look at ExoClick.

    ReplyDelete