23 May 2016

Empties: Jan–May 2016


I'm not going to pretend it isn't weird that I keep my trash just so I can take pictures of it so I can then talk about it ~on the blog~. But empties posts are like mini reviews, except that mine are long AF because I don't understand how to batch them yet. This time around, I just started collecting stuff at the beginning of the year and waited til the David's Tea bag I was using got waaaay too full and I couldn't fit anything else in.

So let's take a gander at what has (finally) ended up in the trash!

I've separated this out into skincare-y things and then makeup things. Skincare first!


La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel for Oily Sensitive Skin
★★★★☆
Really great cleanser for oily skin that I think helped control oiliness. Reduced my acne but didn't stop them. Love that it has a pump!

Garnier Pure Mattifying Toner
★★★☆☆
Drying but helped speed up the acne healing cycle for me.

The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner
★★★★☆
I hate that you have to shake it, because I kept forgetting. Feels great though.

Garnier Body Intensive 7 Days Hydrating Lotion for Normal Skin
★★★★★
One of my fave body lotions. It's super light and is on the more watery side, but absorbs awesome and keeps me feeling moisturized all day.

Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Hairspray
★★☆☆☆
Eh. Ehhhhh. Holds hair in place okay, but not the way I like.

Nivea Mattifying Day Care
★★★★☆
Pretty great morning daily moisturizer. It's light but moisturizing, and does mattify a little bit!

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion
★★★☆☆
I use the big bottles of this as a body lotion but the small ones as hand creams. More of a watery lotion and works well as a body lotion but not as a hand cream.

Pond's Original Fresh Wet Cleansing Towelettes
★★☆☆☆
Too rough for my face, but does take makeup off. Not good for around the eyes. Awesome for swatches on the arms/hands.

Repechage Hydra Medic Face Wash Foaming Gel Cleanser for Problem Skin (sample)
★★★☆☆
Feels awesome on the skin and cleanses without stripping. Still hate the smell, though.

Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser (sample)
★★★☆☆
Love the scent of this and would definitely want to try this long term to see how it works. Cleanses without stripping and feels really refreshing.

Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub
★★★☆☆
Smells good, tastes good, feels moisturizing. It's okay as a scrub but sometimes just moisturizes the dry flakes back into place rather than removing them. Won't be buying again because mint on my face is such a bad idea.

Nivea Essential Lip Balm
★★★☆☆
Decent lip balm. A bit thick and greasy, but definitely moisturizing. Last little bit always melts off though.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Cotton Candy
★★☆☆☆
Moisturizing but glittery and such a gross colour on me. Goodbyeeeeeee.


THEFACESHOP Face It Velvet Skin Primer
★★★★☆
Very silicone-y but holds makeup in place longer. Doesn't control oil that well but improvement over non-primed face.

Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer
★★★★★
Fave eyeshadow primer. I'm already using another tube of it.

Rimmel Stay Matte Long Lasting Pressed Powder in Transparent
★★★★☆
Review here. Works awesome for what it is, and doesn't over-promise. Cheap too, so I have another one already.

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Oil-Free Pore Minimizing
★★☆☆☆
Really silicone-y and pilled up before my foundation even touched it.

Cover Girl Clump Crusher Mascara
★★★★☆
Review here. Love the brush and gives me tiny baby definition but doesn't do the bad things.

Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment
★★★★☆
Super moisturizing, love the tiny bit of tint. Melted off the tube super easily though, so I put it in a little pot.

Benefit They're Real! Mascara
★★★☆☆
Love the length and definition from this, but it always smudges under my eyes and is a pain to remove.

Maybelline Great Lash Blackest Black Mascara
★☆☆☆☆
No definition, no volume, no length. Only thing was it didn't smudge.

Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
★★★★★
Fave black liquid liner. Already using another one!

Dolly Wink Black Liquid Eyeliner
★★★★★
The other fave black liquid liner. I have one in storage for when the KVD one runs out.

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation in Warm Nude (sample)
★★★★☆
Love the finish, the coverage, the colour match. Doesn't last all day on oily skin though.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Rattan (sample)
★★★★★
Love the finish, the coverage and the colour match. Bought the full size. I get the hype.

NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint in Alaska (sample) and Groenland (sample)
★★★★☆
Catches on dry patches but awesome coverage for a "tint." But it's not perfect because you definitely need to apply with a sponge for the best finish (or just even application). Alaska is my colour match.

NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska (sample)
★★★★☆
Featured here. Light coverage, easy to apply with fingers, lasts surprisingly all day. Bought the full size.

As always, congrats on making it through the entire post! I think for next time, I'll just break it down into months, now that posting three times a week makes for more posting opportunities.

Stay updated and follow me on

1 comment:

  1. I've just downloaded iStripper, and now I enjoy having the best virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete