11 May 2016

Matte Liquid Lipstick Comparisons: Stila vs Kat Von D vs Anastasia



This post is definitely a long time coming! I've been wanting to seriously compare some of the most popular big-name matte liquid lipsticks on the market, and I think it's time.

I'll be comparing the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick, the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick, and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick.

When comparing the three on a cost basis:
  • Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick retails for $31 CAD for 0.1 fl. oz., or $310 per fl. oz. 
  • Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick retails for $26 CAD for 0.11 fl. oz., or $236 per fl. oz. 
  • Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick retails for $24 CAD for 0.22 fl. oz., or $109 per fl. oz.
On a price-per-ounce basis, the win goes to Kat Von D because it's the most affordable out of the three. That's not to say there aren't more affordable liquid lipsticks out there, though.

The liquid lipsticks are all packaged as slim, round tubes. Both Anastasia and Stila have metallic portions, and KVD has her signature roses and decorations. The slimmest but also tallest tube is the KVD. Anastasia's and Stila's tubes are a similar width, but the Stila packaging is slightly taller. There's no real winner because it's entirely down to personal preference.

All three liquid lipsticks have a doe-foot-style applicator. KVD's doe foot is the smallest and firmest of the three. Stila's is the thinnest and most flexible allowing more of the surface to be used to apply the product, but it can also make application more difficult. So the best one, to me, is Anastasia's applicator because it's the most efficient and easiest to use.





The wear-time for all three liquid lipsticks are very similar: confirmed 6+ hours with drinking but without eating. The Stila wears off the fastest during a meal, and KVD holds on for the longest (assuming non-greasy meal). They all layer over themselves for reapplication really well, and don't clump nor cling to dryness.

All three lipsticks are easy to remove using a makeup wipe or makeup remover. The KVD and Anastasia lipsticks don't budge when wiped at with a Kleenex, but the Stila will come off a tiny bit. In terms of easiness to remove to longevity, my favourite is the Kat Von D because it stays put but any oil will remove it immediately.

In terms of colour impact, all of the options are high-pigment, super saturated colour. What you see in the tube is what you get on the lips. Kat Von D's pigmentation is great, but it is also dependent on the shade. Some shades (which you can see here) can be patchy while others are flawless.

The following photos show lipstick application plus a kiss test after five minutes using a lot of pressure. Stila performed the poorest in the kiss test, while Anastasia and KVD were very similar and only had transfer from the innermost part on the lips. Please ignore my super wonky application skills.

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Patina, kiss test after 5 minutes

Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in American Doll, kiss test after 5 minutes

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Beloved, kiss test after 5 minutes
Also, yikes that application


I don't experience any feathering/bleeding outside the liplines with the Stila nor the KVD. With Anastasia, however, I found that it was dependent on the shade. I don't experience feathering with American Doll, but with Craft (as seen in this post), I found that the shade feathered a lot to the point that I returned it because I couldn't make it work.

Also in the photos above, you can really see how dry the KVD formula can be. On a regular day (no marathon swatching involved), I find that all three liquid lipsticks eventually feel dry on the lips, but that's something like 8-10 hours in. With KVD especially, I found that by the end of the day, I'd feel excited about the idea of putting lip balm on my lips. For me, the most comfortable of the three is the Anastasia because even though it sets completely, it still feels surprisingly comfortable for a liquid matte lipstick. Stila falls somewhere in between the two.

Soooo finally, here's where I get to decide which liquid lipstick is the best of the three. I know for sure that Stila's offering is my least favourite of the three (thank god, because at that price, I don't think I can afford another shade). But between Anastasia and Kat Von D, I would definitely go with Kat Von D almost every time. Its two downfalls are occassional patchiness and dryness, but it's still such a bulletproof formula that I know I can rely on it every time.

Have you tried any of these three? Which is your favourite formula? Or suggest another matte liquid lipstick to me, cuz y'all know I love 'em!

Stay updated and follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment