30 May 2016

Smashbox Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer Review


I'm a huge matte lipstick lover, and I tend to wear that finish over nearly everything else. But I've got a huge collection of cream lipsticks that just don't get the love they deserve because I find them too glossy. So recently, Smashbox released a product that's designed to get you twice as much use out of your existing lipstick collection.

Smashbox is a brand I frequently overlook. I didn't like their oil-controlling primer that I received a small sample of, and since then I hadn't looked into the brand at all. But I saw the Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer on another blog and it really got my attention.

It's a really interesting concept developed for pro makeup artists working on photo shoot sets, where it would be easier to have a lipstick topper to change the look of a lipstick, rather than having two separate lipsticks entirely. But for a person who just prefers the look of a matte lipstick? It's like a dream come true solution for all of those cream lipsticks in beautiful shades that I just don't wear because ew shiny. (Never thought I'd say that, but here we are.)

The Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer is a clear-ish silicone-feeling product that's applied all over the lips on top of your lipstick to make it look matte. The box's instructions say to use your finger, but personally I prefer to use a Q-tip because the cream lipstick eventually ends up all over my finger and I hate that. And definitely start with a small amount!

So let's see it in action:


That tiny change in finish makes a world of difference in how I feel about this lipstick. NYX's Electra is a beautiful red but I haven't worn it often because of the glossy finish. With the Smashbox Insta-Matte on top, the colour doesn't change a bit, but the sheen is gone. Definitely an A+ for that, because it works exactly as it said it would!

Despite looking matte though, the cream lipstick doesn't gain any of the properties of inherently matte lipsticks. They still feel and behave like cream lipsticks, just without the sheen. This can be good and bad, because you don't lose any of the moisture from a creamy lipstick but you also don't gain any of the basically-glued-to-your-lips longevity of matte lipsticks. And depending on how much of the lipstick transformer you apply, you can end up with a silicone-y feel on the lips. While it's not particularly awful, it's definitely weird.

The Smashbox Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer is meant to only be used on cream lipsticks, and not glosses, balms and stains.

If you've ever thought "if only that lipstick was matte," then this is definitely something you should look into.

Stay updated and follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment